22 March 2006

Housequake

Prince Rodgers Nelson, aka "glyph", aka "the Artist formerly known as Prince", aka "Prince" released a new album this week, "3121". There's been buzz about the album for some time, with the cool kids atwitter -- and justifiably -- at what promised to be a return to form for a great pop writer and performer.

I've only heard the iTunes available "Black Sweat". The Washington Post's J. Freedom du Lac writes this:

""Black Sweat" is a delicious slice of stripped-down electro-funk that sounds like Prince doing his best Pharrell doing his best "Black Album"- or "Kiss"-era Prince, which is so meta it hurts. The song is all stuttering drum machines, hand claps and buzzing, burbling synths, with grunting vocals and falsetto shrieks: "I'm hot and I don't care who knows it, I got a job to do," Prince yelps."

He's right on. I have one thing to add:

"You be screamin' like a white lady when I count to three" is the sound you hear from a certain apartment in NW DC.

I'm just sayin'.

No comments: